Audiofile Quality

Too clever by half.

 
Invocation
I am the crow of desperation
I will effect your validation
I spin relentless variation
I scramble in the dust of a failing nation
I was concealed
Now I am stirring
And I have waited for this time.
Lesson
The birds they sang
at the break of day
Start again
I heard them say
Don't dwell on what
has passed away
or what is yet to be.

Ah the wars they will
be fought again
The holy dove
She will be caught again
bought and sold
and bought again
the dove is never free.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
Benediction
I remember King David,
With his harp
And his beautiful, beautiful songs;
I answered his prayers,
And showed him a place
Where his music belongs

It's not too far from here;
Come get up off your knees
If you're looking for ways to please...

Sing me no psalm;
You're not King David.
Sing me no high,
Hushed Glory Be:
Sing it to one,
One of the broken
And brother you're singing,
Singing to me

Sing me no deep
Hymn of devotion;
Sing me no slow
Sweet melody:
Sing it to one,
One of the broken--
And brother you're singing,
Singing to me.
Work in Progress
Friday, July 21, 2006
After substantial fretting, I'm finally going to rejoin the ranks of the underemployed! There are ways to get paid better, but I'm confident the operation can be improved by my participation. That matters to me a lot. Also it beats digging ditches.

In honour of which, a brief meditation on work from my library.

Write if You Get Work
This jaunty curiosity is not actually a Warren Zevon recording; apparently the singer/guitarist on this track was the guy who replaced Zevon. But this wasn't released on a special recording of the work of Wayne Erwin, now was it?

Working Class Hero
Hey, it's something to be. Marianne Faithfull tears it up on her incredible Blazing Away album, recorded live in a former church. In case there are any guitar snobs out there, that's Marc Ribot.

Honest Work
From Todd Rundgren's A Cappella, every sound on which was produced originally by Rundgren's own voice. This is now available on CD; but I'm a poor man, so this file is recorded from my years-old cassette. I ran it through the mp3 editor for noise reduction, though, and it turned out acceptable to me.

Working on a Building
Trying to track down the songwriter may be impossible; I got little help from googling around. Bill Monroe apparently recorded it long ago, and John Fogerty more recently, but there's no indication either of them credited a songwriter other than "Traditional". The Cowboy Junkies recorded The Trinity Sessions in a former church, too, but I'm not reading into coincidence...or am I?

Finest Worksong (Mutual Drum Horn Mix)
This song rules me. Literally, in that it blares from my speakers whenever I have to arise at the ass-crack of dawn (okay, before ten). If I can sing through this whole song, I know I'm in good enough shape to take on whatever comes. You shouldn't buy this if there's any chance it might prevent you from buying everything R.E.M. recorded for I.R.S. O.K.?

Working Is No Problem
Pylon were the band R.E.M. looked up to; the hippest band in Athens, Georgia, when Athens was the white-hot center of musical creation. I never got any of their stuff when it was in print, and now it's too freakin' late, but I've collected a track or two on the internets. The singer's personal history of the band is a great read, by the way.

Wild Sex (In the Working Class)
I'll just draw a veil across this one, shall I? A concert arrangement recorded in-studio for Boingo Alive. I'll be in my bunk.
posted by Rah @ 10:54 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Rah
Home: North Cackalacky
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
P.S.

mp3 blogs

BLOGGER